Friday, May 18, 2007

Bub's new wardrobe

With a baby due any day now, I've been busy sewing and knitting for her. I wont comment on all of the pics.

There are lots of longies that I plan on using as nappy covers and pants over winter. Apart from the ones pictured, I've also made a couple of cream pairs. All are in organic merino wool and have been dyed with food colouring. There is red and pink variagated wool (with matching beanie), pink and purple variagated wool (with matching beanie and also matching shorties), and two red and pink dip dyed ones - you can probably tell which was my initial "experimental" dip dying pair! I've kept to mostly similar colours to make them more versatile - ie if one pair needs changing, at least the rest of the outfit will still match without also needing to be changed.

Most of the shorties I made earlier, so you may have seen pics of these at another time. They are mostly soft cleckheaton wool. There is one pair that hasn't photographed very well - variagated red, yellow, orange and black wool. They were just made to use up the wool - food colouring dyed treliske organic. The other one that is in the dyed organic wool is the pink/purple variagated, which is photographed with the matching longies and beanie.

Finally, I've made lots of hemp tops and dresses. I've only shown the dyed ones and one plain top here, but I did make other tops which I'll eventually get around to dying when I have other things to do the same colour. The hemp/cotton interlock has a great feel and I've sewn them all with organic cotton thread, so the dye has taken really well. Hope these will fit her while the longies fit, as they'll look good together. The tops all look a bit big at the moment though.

Apart from all of these things, I've also sewn 3 or 4 nighties (with more cut out to do), about 18 fitted nappies in hemp/cotton blend, 3 fitted nappies in bamboo/cotton blend, 3 woollen fabric covers, 5 PUL covers (not sure about the sizing of these - have done them all differently), and 15 or so muslin liners. I already have about 12 cotton prefolds, 3 muslin flats, many flannelette flats, about 10 or so terry flats, a couple of bought PUL covers, and a heap of knitted cardigans/beanies that I made for my first daughter. And of course, I have heaps and heaps of other clothes like rompers, etc. Still worrying about whether I have enough though. I'll post pics of all of the sewn/knitted stuff some other time!

My son's clothes

And here is my catch up of a few clothes I've made for my boy. A while ago I posted pics of shorts that I made him - not being modelled. To start, I have a pic of them being worn. This is the same pattern I've used for a few of his shorts and also for my daughter's butterfly shorts (in the last post). Its Burda 9840.

This t-shirt is one I painted for him and sewed. Its a crocodile (just incase you can't tell!!).

I love these long shorts, but my son isn't quite as keen on them. They're an ottobre pattern, made from women's suiting fabric (very trendy at the moment for older boys I think). They did turn out very big for him though, which is I think part of the reason he doesn't like them. Should fit him next summer nicely though!

And finally, new, winter cord pants. Yet another Ottobre pattern. He's wearing them with a belt from the dress up box - we had to buy him a new "big boy's belt" later that day. I chose this pattern because I thought it would have a trimmer, more straight-legged fit then his other jeans, but they turned out a bit big. I'm sure the undies peeking out from the top of the pants is the in thing now though isn't it? This is a great pattern, and I'll definitely make it up again - perhaps in denim? Although the contrasting direction of the cord looks great.
I also made the blue and white stripey tee - not sure if I've posted pics of that yet. He loves stripey tops, so I have to make lots of them. Also used the same fabric for a short sleeve top. Both get worn a lot.

My daughter's clothes

I have been doing quite a bit of sewing, but been too busy to post an update here for a while, so this is a bit of a catch-up.

First group are clothes that I've made for my daughter.

These are shorts made from the same pattern I've used for a few of my boy's shorts. They are great on her, and the butterflies in the camo style colours and look get compliments.

Also made the t-shirt - its the basic ottobre t-shirt pattern, with fold over elastic around the edges and a bit extra added to the sleeve width so I could gather there a bit and make the sleeves a bit more girly looking.

I know I've put in a lot of pics of this outfit, but we really like it (my daughter and I)! Its from Ottobre, and is a skirt and signolla top, with leggings and a long sleeve top that can be worn underneath or separately. It looks great on. Don't often do the long sleeve top under the nice light blouse, but either top on its own with the skirt (and leggings when cold) is good.

Warning though - the back of this skirt is a nuisance to iron.

Finally, two simple tees - on short sleeve and one three-quarter sleeve.

There have been a couple of other skirts, but no pics of them yet. I'll have to come back again soon to post more pics.